My inspiration came from my love of Agatha Christie murder mysteries, so I tried to incorporate designs from 1930s fashions; concepts of light vs. dark; and unexpected details. I knew I had to have a cape -- I love capes and they were popular in the 1930s -- but I wanted it in an unusual color (pink). I had a heck of a time finding the right pink color in a wool coating, but I finally found it -- a beautiful and highly pet-able wool/cashmere coating from Mood.
My husband calls this my "Cruella de Ville" shot!
The pattern is simple -- a curved hem shape with a deep flounce for the collar and front neckline edge. There are no front closures, so it is a clutch cape. The lining is a washed silk charmeuse -- perfect because it is luxurious to the touch but not slippery.
I flat-felled the shoulder seams for extra stability. It was easy to sew, but the challenge came in pressing this finicky fabric. It was easy to over press it and leave marks, so a press cloth was critical. I also ended up under stitching in many areas to keep them flat and clean.
Here is a little Crop Jacket plus matching Curved Seam Skirt that I made from a wonderfully textured fabric in my stash. It is a Ratti fabric from Emma One Sock that I purchased a while back and saved. I had just enough for both pieces, and incorporated some of my flat leather piping into the seams.
This was also another finicky fabric. It is a cotton/synthetic blend, but the raised texture seemed to "melt" a bit when pressed. Even on a lower heat setting and a press cloth, there was some melting that occurred, so I had to have a light hand when pressing. Lesson learned here -- test press a swatch!
The jacket has a cropped, swing shape, which I love. I chose to add a hem facing because of the curved hem, but used a lighter weight silk taffeta rather than the self fabric.
I did something different with this jacket -- I used silk organza to make the sleeve head, which gave just enough body to enhance the pleated sleeve cap.
I love the print lining -- loved it so much I bought extra yardage to make a blouse. It is really simple -- a narrow mandarin collar, 3/4-length sleeves and snaps as a front closure. I used gathers along the side seams instead of a dart, but the print is so busy it is difficult to see. It is more of a tunic length, so in the photos above, I wore it out and unbelted.
The matching Curved Seam Skirt is accented with flat leather piping. I lined this with Bemberg rayon.
The skirt has an unexpected detail -- a stripe of pink taffeta along the inside edge of the kick pleat, which just happens to match the hem facing in the jacket.
Four pieces down -- eight more left to photograph!