Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Japanese Puzzle Quilt



Christmas has come and gone --- got the message --- but I wanted to highlight the Japanese Puzzle Quilt wall hanging that is behind the tree. I made it several years ago after eyeing the design in a quilt shop in Berkeley. At the time, my grandmother gave me a stash of kasuri fabrics from Japan --- gorgeous dyed wovens that are quite popular here. Interestingly, kasuri fabrics can be pretty pricey and valuable these days, but in the past, kasuri clothing was worn in the countryside as a durable and less expensive alternative to other fabrics. One reason for the increase in value is that the kasuri weaving method requires precise skill, and the number of artisans who are able to make this fabric has diminished --- it is truly a dying art.

3 comments:

  1. My Name is martha Emery. I live in Napa Ca. I have been looking for the pattern for the Japanese puzzle quilt shown behind your christmas tree. My email is maremery@yahoo.com. Can you point me in the right direction to find this pattern for the japenese puzzle quilt? Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Lucia Bayram I live in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Last year I went to Amsterdam to a quilt shop and they had the Japanese Puzzel called "Diamonds of Antwerp" by Ada Hooijberg: Den Haan & Wagenmakers BV retail
    Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 97-99, 1012 RE Amsterdam The Netherlands
    Tel. 31 (0)20-6202525
    Fax. 31 (0)20-6239374
    E-mail: info@dutchquilts.com
    Website: www.dutchquilts.com
    Hope you get the pattern.

    Cheers,

    Lucia:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You want to buy Japanese Puzzle by Tracey Brookshire. It is a lot of fun to make. You also will need a template that she sells to make this quilt.

    I will be teaching this as a class at Mountain Maid Quilt Shop in Chester, CA on June 16, 2010.

    Carol, Lake Almanor

    ReplyDelete