The pattern I used -- from the May 2010 issue of Burda -- really is a one-dot kind of dress. There were only two pattern pieces for the top front and top back, with the skirt created by cutting a rectangle. Because of this, it was easy to lengthen the skirt from a knee-length (original pattern) to a maxi-length dress. The waist has an elastic casing (1/4-inch elastic) and I added a side slit for walking ease. Here's the technical drawing again.
I made a couple of minor pattern adjustments. I narrowed the shoulder seams and dropped the neckline down by about two inches. Judging by how it ended up fitting, dropping the neckline was a good thing, because I wonder if it would have been too tight without that adjustment. The folds at the sides plus the elastic casing add a lot of fullness for a "blousy" effect, which is a nice contrast to the straight skirt.
This pattern is a keeper!