I am thrilled to report that the Python Parka is finally finished! Yay! I first blogged about it on March 13, 2011 -- shocking that it has been almost a year! It's so difficult to pick up an unfinished project after a period of time. I almost scrapped this one, because I lost interest in the project, but I'm glad I picked it up and completed it.
I combined two related patterns from the January 2009 issue of Burda. Here are the line drawings. I used the sleeve style and short length of the top style and the dramatic collar from the bottom style.
I made a few changes:
1. Too lazy to make the chest pockets, but with the busy print, I don't think I miss them.
2. Used elastic for the waist instead of a drawstring.
3. Didn't add the drawstring at the hem.
4. The sleeves are meant to be worn as three-quarter sleeves.
I love the collar. The gathers are created by a drawstring within a casing made in the collar. It's kind of hard to see, but there is an eyelet with the drawstring pulled through.
There is also a snap that attached the corner of the collar to the jacket, helping the collar to stand up a bit.
I had a lot of problems with the pocket. This fabric is very bouncy, and so the gathers on the pockets became extremely pouf-y. I tamed them by creating a fold and tacking it down with the button. Works well -- nice to come up with a fix!
Finally, the two-way zipper is great! I think the exposed teeth really add to the look.
Overall, I'm pleased with how this turned out. I'll post more over the weekend!
Thanks American Sewing Expo!
4 hours ago