My latest project is a little swing jacket to match my Asymmetric Drape Front Skirt. The main body and sleeves are in the same wool crepe as the skirt and the collar and yoke are in leather. Here's the muslin.
The leather is from Leatherwise, which I wrote about in this post. It is a black lambskin from Italy that was a pleasure to work with. One side is a smooth with a slight sheen to it and the other side has a suede texture.
The walking foot worked like a dream and made sewing leather to fabric really easy. There was slight sticking to the machine (the body of the machine, not the feed dogs) as I sewed the leather, but working slowly allowed me to adjust as I went along.
To test how well the leather could be pressed, I cut off a small piece of wrinkled and marred leather and, using a poly iron setting, no steam and a silk organza press cloth, tried a test press of the wrong side to get the wrinkles out. It worked pretty well -- I definitely took a gentle pressing approach (no press of death for leather!).
The white marring on the pressed piece was already present in the wrinkled piece -- it wasn't caused by my iron (whew!).
Here's the back yoke sewn and topstitched. Sorry for the lighting issues!
I wasn't planning on topstitching the yoke, but after I sewed it to the main body, another row of stitching seemed needed in order to keep the leather flat.